Position: Project Officer (Full time)
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 06 months (extension applicable)
Application Deadline: 29 September 2019, 23:59
Reporting Date: 6 October 2019
The Maldivian Democracy Network (MDN) is a non-partisan NGO which aims to promote human rights and the values and principles of democracy in the Maldives. We undertake a wide range of activities under our mandate, including awareness raising, monitoring, reporting, lobbying and advocacy. Although based in the capital Male’, MDN is active across the country conducting workshops, trainings, monitoring and advocacy activities in various atolls.
MDN works to support the establishment of a democratic system of governance which upholds human rights, that aligns with the Constitution of the Maldives and the UN Core Conventions on human rights to which the State of Maldives is signatory. We advocate and campaign for the rights of citizens and non-citizens residing in the Maldives, and over the years MDN has earned a place within the civil society sector as a strong voice that works effectively to uphold its mandate. Our programmatic areas include fostering good governance, ensuring the protection of human rights of all, empowering women to participate in public life, and facilitating civic participation of youth.
- Provide assistance to the Project Coordinator in implementing assigned projects
- Maintain project related documents according to organisation’s policies
- Implementation of time sensitive tasks such as conduction of workshops, research and report writing
- Coordinate logisitics of the project including travel and other related activities for on-going projects
- Assist in the timely preparation of project progress and narrative reports
- Brief travel outside of Male’
Bachelor of Laws OR
A minimum of an advanced diploma in the legal field or equivalent in public policy, social sciences, journalism OR other relevant qualification
At least 2 years of work experience at a law firm or legal action charity, undertaking legal research, opinion and analysis, will be an added advantage.
Related skills and knowledge
- Excellent command of both Dhivehi and English is a requirement for this call.
- Computer skills, including but not limited to proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and graphic designing. Experience in handling of web-based management systems will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of current affairs, human rights and governance in the Maldives, and preferably in South Asia.
- Working knowledge of the principles of good governance and human rights are required.
Interested candidates are invited to send an expression of interest, along with a CV and contacts for two references to [email protected] before the deadline.
Please call +960 334 3609 for further queries regarding this vacancy.